Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Employment



Charles found employment with William Cooper and Company who were stationers. His job was that of cutter and folder of paper for notes and letters. He was paid by piecework, which amounted to about fifteen to seventeen shillings a week. Charles worked at this job for eight or ten months. But one day his employer called him into his office and said, “My head warehouse man is leaving. I'd like you to take the job and the pay will be fifteen shillings a week.” Charles took this job and after his days' work assisted his father-in-law in the making of leather bootlaces.

His young wife Eliza was busy at home and in addition working at the trade of fancy box making. Charles and Eliza continued to attend their church meeting. Charles says, however, “On account of my not continuing my mission, I, with my brother John, were suspended from our church office for a short time. After a while by my good conduct I regained my former position as Elder.

I continued at my employment and attended to my duties, and felt while doing so the Lord was blessing me all the time.” The Lord was indeed blessing Charles and Eliza because children came to bless their home. First came Caroline Eliza, then Thomas Charles. A year after the birth of Thomas, Charles' father John West died February 17, 1854 and was buried in the Ilford Cemetery, Essex, England. Charles said of his father, “He was a good father and a true Latter-day Saint.” Charles still worked for William Cooper, who had advanced his salary. Charles was loyal to the church for he said, “I continued doing all I could to promote and build up the kingdom in outdoor preaching and singing, acting as a Sunday School teacher, delivering tracts, paying tithing and other calls. If I donated any amount--the Lord always opened up the way so that I never felt the loss but gained a blessing.”

Still other children were born into this good home, Ann Lydia, Jabez William and Eliza Alice. This young family had many good times together. They shared their home too with the elders, for many stayed with them. Charles loved to sing and gave his children a love for music. (Apparently he had inherited this talent from his own father). Eliza taught her children to love God and saw that they were baptized when eight years old. Father and mother had some special good times together. Just after the birth of baby Eliza, the Crystal Palace was opened in London. Charles and Eliza went to see this beautiful glass structure. The couple was much impressed because Charles says; “A man gave a performance on the tightrope. He not only walked on the rope, but wheeled a barrow over it and walked over blind folded.”

No comments:

Post a Comment